Monday 20 June 2011

Sausage hot pot

I absolutely adore this sausage hot pot as it's so simple with few ingredients, yet so tasty. It's always a winner with the kids. I'm not sure where the original recipe comes from, but I remember it as the first meal I cooked completely on my own for my family when I was a teenager. I have never once failed this hot pot as it's delicious every time! I have tweaked the recipe a little bit and this is that same sausage hot pot - the Minty way! 


8 Carrots
12 Medium sized potatoes
1 large leek
700g smoked frankfurters (2 packs) Herta's or Tesco's own is what I use.
2 cups water (5dl)
3 vegetable stock cubes
2-3 tbsp curled leaf parsley
2 tomatoes

Peel carrots and potatoes. Measure up the water and let the stock cubes dissolve as it heats up in a large pot. Slice carrots and add to the pot.


Let boil with the lid on while you cut the potatoes into small chunks. Add potatoes to the pot and stir.

Let boil with the lid on while you slice or chop the leek, both the white and the green. Rinse well under running water. Add to the pot and let boil for 15 minutes with the lid on. 

Cut each frankfurter lengthwise and then cut about ½ inch to 1 inch long pieces. Add the frankfurters to the pot and stir. Let boil for 5 minutes. By now you should have a little bit of thick liquid (from the stock) boiling in the pot. If it’s still very liquid boil another 5 minutes without lid to reduce. Cut tomatoes into wedges and add on top of the hot pot and garnish with a bit of cut curled leaf parsley.

When I made this last I didn't have any tomatoes in the fridge (due to the whole E-coli outbreak) and it works just as well without them, but they do add a nice touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment